Monday, June 23, 2014

The more I write…


I’ve been wrapped up in JuNoWriMo this June – a challenge to write 50,000 words in a month. I haven’t read any fiction, or edited any manuscripts, or even really typed up anything. I’ve barely blogged. All I’ve done is write long hand in my purple notebook. Now it’s June 23rd and the end is nigh. When I figured out that 50,000 in a month = approx. 1,667 words a day, I made that my small goal. For me, I figure that’s 6-7 pages a day. I just focused on getting those 7 pages a day and put the big total word count out of my head. Now the story is closing in on its final climax. The main character is at her lowest point, wondering which way to turn. How will she ever get out of this? Luckily, I think I have a plan, but I can’t let up now with just a few days left to go.

I’ve written six books now- nearly seven- with outlines planned for more. I was musing on all my past projects and I realized I really do love the first draft stage the best. To me, there isn’t a better thrill than just throwing words on paper, when my creativity level is at its highest. I love those little ah-ha moments when I figure out a plot point or I write something particularly profound (in my opinion) or touching that moves me. I think I’ve finally learned how to turn off my inner editor in this stage and just enjoy the fun of it all.

Well, book number seven isn’t technically done yet, so I’d better get back to it.  I wish you all Happy writing~

No comments:

Post a Comment